Slow and Consistent Improvements
Recently, my shoulder that was giving me some issues is finally feeling more stable and I am able to bench again. One of the toughest mental battles about feeling better is reminding myself that I do not need to rush to get to where I was prior to injury. This is a difficult concept to grasp for me because I am constantly trying to be my all time best. In reality, I need to focus on keeping my shoulder healthy and then worry about how strong I can get before nationals. I think I will be able to beat my all time best by nationals but taking it slow is going to be a critical part of finding that success.
The best way to get to 100% for Nationals level is by getting your shoulder back to 100%. When i destroyed my shoulder, the hardest part was to mentally tell myself that I needed to rest longer between workouts in order to not re-injure it. Keep on reminding yourself that it's better to take is slow rather than injure yourself and not be able to compete at nationals. Keep up the good work and go kill it at nationals.
ReplyDeleteThe path to success and reaching our goals especially in powerlifting is a marathon as opposed to a sprint. That is 100% a mental battle because results become addicting and we want to make it a rapid and fast progression which isn't possible safely. Slow and steady wins the race 10 times out of 10.
ReplyDeleteWorking a injury is the main ingredient to being out of the game long term. When you are this far out from Nationals which is roughly 6 months you have plenty of time to get healthy and still get the results you seek. So take a month or two focus on Rest, Rehab, and Food your body will get back to 100% and you will be ready to bring home a nationals win
ReplyDeleteIt is definitely important to make sure you are healthy before going into a big lift. It is very good to see that you recognize that you cannot rush into things without being at your best. It shows that you are very knowledgable and listen to your body when something isn't right.
ReplyDeleteSure, injuries suck, but it is definitely best to not rush things. Making sure you are back to 100% is very important. I tore my acl in high school and it definitely took a toll on me, more mentally than physically believe it or not. Rushing back when you are not fully healthy will just slow down the process and make things worse.
ReplyDelete